Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweet Treats and Organizing

I know...my thoughts are always random. But, I usually try to only post on one subject at a time. I like each post to have a "theme" and corresponding pictures. Plus, it makes me post more often.

Anyway...the sweet treats.
They have a Rita's in Texas!!!
Fellow GFA staffers from PA found a Rita's Italian Ice shop nearby. It's the only one in Texas, we've been told. Our friends met the owner and told him they work with several other families from PA. He gave her a stack of coupons for a free regular italian ice. So, we went to Rita's last Friday.
It was yummy!
I absolutely loved the bright red lips on the kids.
The Rita's is located in Flower Mound, about 20 minutes from our house. It's in a little shopping area that sort of has a park-like atmosphere. We ate outside, enjoying watching bunches of kids running around, and listened to a band playing classic rock at a restaurant across the patio. (And, my kids have never met a stranger. They walked over to say hi to these girls. Rylee came back a minute later and said "They're nice. [pause, then then seriously] They don't speak English." If you know Rylee's personality, you know it was hilarious!)
Then, on Wednesday the twins went to hang out with Auntie Pam. She and the twins made an ice cream cake while I ran an errand. Then, I returned and we went swimming. That night, Auntie Pam came over to help us eat some cake! It was delicious.
On a completely different note...I have taken on a challenge. I have decided to organize my desk area. When we remodeled our kitchen, we put in an area for the computer/desk. I've had little nooks and spots for things but it tends to accumulate a pile in the middle. I bought a used bookshelf for $5 and stuck it next to the desk. I had a plan for how to use it, but it's also accumulated random items. And, our incoming mail tends to pile up on the island counter.
Joel doesn't like piles. I don't really like piles. We try not to have piles, but they just end up being made. I made file folders, but never stuck things in them. (I'm very visual...out of sight is definitely out of mind for me!) But, I read a blog called "organized junkie" and she had a challenge last week. She calls this sort of area "command central". Makes sense. I have a spot where the kids keep their shoes, a spot for their backpacks to hang, and a place for gloves/hats/jackets in cool weather. But, this area needs organization and a PLAN! So, while I am too late for the official challenge (posting a link and pictures and possibly winning a prize), I'm posting this BEFORE shot to challenge myself (and give you something to hold me accountable for). Check back soon to see our AFTER shot. (There will be an added shelf, some rearranged folders, streamlining phones, etc...by the end of the weekend.)
And, it's led me to examine another spot...our coat closet by the front door that is currently the picture, wrapping paper, random stuff closet. This organizing thing might just snowball on me!

2 comments:

  1. Rita's....sounds yummy..almost as good as the ice cream store we go to everytime I come visit! Just so you know...Uncle Bud and Aunt Linda are visiting in Austin and found out that Amanda is expecting a baby...you knew Trey and Jenny were expecting #2, right??

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really want to go to rita's. it sounds delish. :)

    ReplyDelete