Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Anger

I really struggle with anger sometimes.

I have come a long way. It's not nearly the struggle it was just a year ago.

But, I still have a lot to learn. And, I still need to grow.

That's why this post by Heather really hit a chord with me.

It's honestly what I've been looking for. I've been thinking that I need to memorize some Scripture specific to the problems I face.

Years ago I did a Beth Moore Bible study. I think it was Breaking Free, but I can't remember exactly. I've done quite a few of her studies. She taught us to use index cards that are spiral bound and write Scriptures on them for areas of weakness.

I have my spiral bound index cards.

They have some Scriptures written down.

But, I never really used them like I should have.

Now, years later...

I have kids.

I get impatient.

I get angry.

A year ago, I would have said I was struggling with how to parent, particularly how to discipline.

Because I was struggling with what to do, I let anger have a hold.

But, then I participated in a parenting study. I highly recommend the book to every parent I know. It's called Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. And, I definitely recommend the study guide that goes with it.

Joel and I read through the book with a group of other parents and we learned a lot. It really helped us define how we would discipline and raise our children. We set goals. We have ambitions.

But, I still struggled with anger.

The anger subsided once I had a plan. I think having a plan is at least half the battle, if not more.

But, I still have my flesh. You know, my flesh that wages war against God's Spirit, which lives inside me. Paul's words in Romans ring way too true in my life!

Romans 7:15, 18, 21-23 The Message
What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. ... I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge."

Praise be to God! Jesus Christ is the answer! And, I now have His Spirit living in me!

Romans 8:5,6 The Message
Those who trust in God's action in them find that God's Spirit is in them--living and breathing God!

So, now that I have a plan and have been encouraged to memorize Scripture again, I'm dusting off those spiral bound index cards.

I've just copied down at least a dozen Scriptures to help me know what to PUT ON each morning (as opposed to just saying "help me not get angry").

I'm on a journey.

The Lord is going to help me be more gentle (1 Tim. 6:11), using words of wisdom (Ps 37:30). He will help me restrain my tongue (Prov 17:27) and use words that bring healing rather than words that pierce like a sword (Prov 12:18; Prov 16:24). He will help me have pleasant words that promote instruction (Prov. 16:21), rather than too many words (Prov 10:19; Ecc 6:11). He will help me have words that are pleasing in His sight (Ps 19:14).

My God is able.

Feel free to hold me accountable!

2 comments: