Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Raindrops

I began a Bible study on Wednesday. During introductions we had to pick a statement that best represented our life right now. The choices were:
  • Raindrops keep falling on my head
  • It's the best of times, the worst of times
  • Try, try, try again
  • O what a beautiful morning, o what a beautiful day
I picked the raindrops phrase. Well, actually, that morning I said it was a combo of the first three.

But, as I've pondered it longer, I think the raindrops line is most accurate.

Sometimes raindrops are much needed on parched land. (We know this well here in Texas after a scorching summer!) Raindrops provide water to sustain and grow vegetation and keep people alive. In my life there are times when God gives me small bits of life-giving truth that sustain me. Not a torrential flood, but little raindrops.

Sometimes raindrops are an annoyance. For someone with wavy hair who likes to wear it straight (not kinky!), little raindrops can ruin my hairstyle in minutes. It is especially annoying when you don't look good in hats, too. Sometimes, the raindrops that fall on me just annoy the heck out of me. They usually reveal my incredible selfish nature, vanity, and need for a Savior.

Sometimes raindrops are devastating. Just ask my friends in central Pennsylvania who are enduring awful flooding right now. The raindrops keep falling and falling and falling and.... I kinda feel like there are seasons where this has been true for me. My kids have been battling being sick for two weeks now. While it's nothing compared to my friends who have battled cancer or had chronic illnesses, two weeks with sickness going through four children with days of health and wellness sprinkled in between--it feel like the rain stops, then drops come again.

So, raindrops keep falling on my head.

I welcome them all because as I look to the Lord through it all, He teaches me, grows me, and is (hopefully) refining me to more effectively and thoroughly reflect Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment