Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fear, Part IV (final)

...last installment in a series on fear...

As I was sharing Scriptures with the ladies at our women's breakfast, I explained the illustration by Beth Moore that had helped me put fear in perspective so clearly. I can't adequately explain just how powerful her illustration has been to me over the last 8 months. Any time fear has risen up in me, I have tried to remember Beth's statement. I have sought to take the thought captive and examine the situation for what it really is. Usually, it boils down to a fear that my kids or I will be hurt. I ask myself "Do I trust God?" Sometimes I don't like the answer to that questions. I have to admit my lack of trust and ask God to help me trust Him.

As I was talking about trusting God, I realized I had come to a similar point many years before...at a ladies breakfast on a Saturday morning! I believe the year was 1998. A few weeks prior to the ladies breakfast my mom fell in the classroom where she teaches fracturing her elbow and tearing her rotater cuff. During this accident it was discovered that my mom had high blood pressure. The morning of the breakfast my mom got very lightheaded and clammy. A friend in attendance is a nurse and was helping care for mom as they tried to figure out what was wrong. During the commotion I headed to the bathroom. While there, I distinctly remember playing through the worst case scenario and basically grieving the loss of my mom. I remember talking to God and hashing through it all with Him, telling Him it would be unfair and that I wouldn't be able to live without my mom. It was quite an interesting experience in the ladies bathroom. I finally came to a point where I surrendered my mom to the Lord and told Him I trusted Him with her life and mine, whatever may come. I left the bathroom with a lighter heart.

That memory came flashing back to me as I spoke, so I shared it. While I haven't known fear like the two ladies sharing testimonies before I spoke, we all face fear. And, while I haven't had to overcome such incredibly fearful situations, God's Word teaches us all, regardless of where we're at in the journey.

After dealing with the issue of fears we face, I shared some Scriptures that tell us who we should fear and what blessings are ours when we do.

Isaiah 8:12-13 tells us not to fear what others fear, but to fear the Lord Almighty, who is holy. When we fear God, we will gain wisdom (Psalm 111:10). He will also teach us (Isaiah 48:17) and even confide in us (Psalm 25:14)!

Forget not the Lord and all His benefits. For some reason, this has been stuck in my mind lately. I don't love the Lord for what He can give me. I love Him for who He is. As a result of understanding who He is, I know He longs to give me comfort, peace, and a spirit of power over fear. He is so good to us! If He is for us, who can be against us?

Delight yourself in the Lord and fear Him alone!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Psalm 27 yesterday. I felt led to read it, and it spoke to me. In fact, I think I need to read it again today....

    :)

    ReplyDelete